In addition to my professional work in transportation engineering, I have spent years effectively advocating alongside community members for safe, accessible, affordable, reliable transit options in Scarborough Southwest and across the entire city.
- I’ve long been pushing for a proper plan to replace the Scarborough RT with an off-road busway:
- I made a video to educate the public and elected officials on the need for the off-road busway
- I started a widely-signed petition that automatically emailed Premier Doug Ford and other key decision makers to pressure them into action on the off-road busway
- I was interviewed by CBC at the Scarborough RT memorial event: “There are 35,000 people a day who depend on the RT. They cannot be left behind on shuttle buses and mixed traffic. The last thing we need to see is more people starting to drive because the transit service here isn't working.” — Kevin Rupasinghe, CBC
- I have organized community members to attend and speak up at key TTC townhalls:
- We successfully pushed back on the TTC’s attempt to eliminate the 69 Warden bus
- I participated in the community-led “Safety For All - Public Transit Safety Townhall”
- I have actively educated our community and organized pushback to many TTC bus service cuts in Scarborough over the past year
I have been a strong proponent of the West Scarborough Rail Path, working alongside other community members to organize walks, meetings, and build up support to see this key trail that would stitch our community together by running alongside the subway from Victoria Park TTC station through Warden TTC station to Kennedy TTC station. Check it out in the Scarborough Mirror and add your name to our petition today!
I pushed City Council for an improved and continuous Eglinton line to extend east from Kennedy station to U of T Scarborough and Malvern. 4-minute video here.
Let’s work together to invest in a safe, reliable, affordable, accessible public transit system — will you join me?